Code for Pakistan (CfP) is looking for a proactive, visionary, and driven professional who is passionate about using great storytelling as a powerful tool to drive positive social change, connect with key audiences, and garner support from key stakeholders and the community at large.
The ideal candidate is driven by a desire to make a positive difference in the lives of Pakistan’s citizens and should be as excited about the future of Pakistan as we are. The candidate should embody the spirit of openness, collaboration, courtesy, and transparency that form the very core of CfP’s values.
This individual is an out-of-the-box thinker and is able to translate this thinking into brand new and creative ways to tell CfP’s story, communicate CfP’s vision and ethos, leverage press, and other media and forums implement new marketing strategies and platforms and effectively engage key stakeholders.
This individual will elevate and drive CfP’s storytelling and brand to the next horizon both nationally and internationally, helping achieve our goals for storytelling, recognition, thought leadership, and growth in alignment with our vision and mission. The objective is to raise public consciousness about government innovation and civic technology and enhance the presence and prestige of this work by building a strategic narrative amongst key stakeholders and the community at large.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) paid position and can be based anywhere in the world. The Storytelling & Outreach Manager will:
- Envision and conceive of new areas, channels, and forums for storytelling
- Envision new strategies and avenues to engage government change agents, civic innovators, donors, and other key stakeholders/audiences
- Have an eye for and ability to curate human-interest impact stories from our programs
- Have a good knack for storytelling and passionate engagement with the power of civic tech to improve lives
- Build relationships with key media contacts and work with the press to create awareness about CfP’s work and about civic tech and civic innovation in general
- Provide editorial (and to some extent, creative) direction for strategic content creation on CfP’s website and social media channels, as well as through print and digital media, television, radio, podcasts, events, and convenings
- Ensure that CfP’s messaging is clear, consistent, and impactful across all channels and media
- Ensure messaging is accessible and inclusive, and resonates with key audiences and stakeholders
- Coach team members on messaging, external communications, and how to pitch civic tech and CfP
- Drive CfP’s outreach and stakeholder engagement through a range of tools such as news items, press releases, storytelling, features, events, speaker series, newsletters, and social media activity
- Conceive different approaches to establish CfP as a thought leader in civic innovation and civic tech
- Create templates and guidelines to convene others (both internal team members and external partners) to contribute to our platforms
- Lead weekly meetings across CfP’s programs and teams and distill key stories to publicize and highlight through social media, website, and mainstream press
- Track and analyze data and insights from all marketing and communication channels, to measure storytelling impact and effectiveness and better understand our audience, and optimize content, messaging, and channels accordingly
- Steward editorial calendar for social media, newsletters, events, and website content
- Experience working on storytelling, communications, messaging, and/or brand in a nonprofit or mission-focused organization
- Professional history of conceiving and executing similar campaigns
- Strong creative outlook in coming up with innovative strategies
- Solid analytical and project management skills
- Strong storytelling and communication skills, both written and oral
- Solid understanding of storytelling fundamentals (newsworthiness — what makes a story interesting from the audience’s’ perspective)
- Strong writing skills and eye for design
- Experience in creating print, audio, and video content on-air and on all digital platforms that generate interest of the target audience and tell compelling stories
- Demonstrated experience managing social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.)
- Knowledge of cross-channel and cross-platform tools
- Experience in, and a strong hunger for, growth marketing
- Know-how of the local and international media and press
- Ability to see the macro view (goal-oriented) while also being very detail-focused (task-oriented) and obsessing over quality
- Ability to work within a team collaboratively and with a positive, can-do attitude
- Multi-tasking — ability to handle multiple, concurrent, and high priority projects with speed and quality
- Proactive, entrepreneurial startup kind of person who gets things done
- Self-management skills, resourcefulness, responsiveness, and accountability — you don’t need follow-up reminders on your action items
- Strong mission focus, with a keen interest in the application of technology for solving real-world problems, though you don’t need to be technical yourself
- Degree in English, Journalism, Communications, (Digital) Marketing, or related field
Other detailed responsibilities will be discussed in the interview process.
How to apply:
Think you’d be a good fit? Apply by emailing to email@example.com your resume, 1-2 writing samples, and a cover letter that explains why you’d be a good fit, what excites you about working for Code for Pakistan, and mentions an example of a storytelling improvement opportunity you see for the organization.
About Code for Pakistan:
Code for Pakistan is a civic innovation platform made up of a passionate community of talented professionals in Pakistan and the US. We are committed to increasing civic engagement, supporting a responsive citizen-centered government, encouraging the opening of government data, and promoting innovation in the public sector. We’re passionate, agile, and growing. Code for Pakistan is also a member of the global Code for All network.