About Code for Pakistan:
Think about your last time stuck in traffic — or getting your driving license renewed… Ever had to go to the police station? Visited a ghost government school? What about spending untold hours with no electricity thanks to load-shedding? No one wants to spend countless hours in traffic or have much to do with public services if they can help it. But what if interacting with public services wasn’t so painful? What if every interaction was a positive, seamless experience?
Enter the world of civic tech. Code for Pakistan is a civic innovation non-profit made up of a passionate community of technologists and other talented professionals, driven by a strong belief in civic innovation and social impact that can move Pakistan forward in measurable and meaningful ways. Our vision is to have a government that meets people’s needs where they are, and we leverage the power of technology and people to bridge the gap between government and citizens. We work on programs that are setting up Pakistan to be a civic innovation hub. Code for Pakistan runs a Government Innovation Fellowship Program based in Peshawar that has completed 6 annual cycles, Civic Innovation Labs in multiple cities across Pakistan, as well as projects with the federal and provincial governments. Our annual Civic Hackathon had 700+ participants from 90+ cities and towns. We also serve on the Executive Committee of the global Code for All network, which brings together more than 27 international civic tech organizations as partners. And we have fun while we do it all!
We’re hiring a “Country Head”! Code for Pakistan is looking for an exceptional and organized DOER – a brilliant, fearless, multi-faceted, and passionate leader who is uncompromising in the pursuit of creating a world-class platform that will positively affect the lives of Pakistanis every day.
The role entails both hands-on contributions as well as management, leadership, and oversight of all our programs, operations, and growth. You will report directly to the Board (which includes the Executive Director), and be responsible for an employee org of 15 (and growing!) as well as a large volunteer base. This is a full-time, permanent, high-energy position based in Islamabad.
- 12+ years of experience in business development, technology/product development, international development, social enterprise, public sector, community engagement, or other fields related to civic tech.
- 7+ years of people management experience, including managing managers and volunteers.
- Demonstrated experience in operational development and management.
- Demonstrated experience working with large stakeholders
- Demonstrated organizational development experience — including, growing and managing teams, managing budgets and financial administration, creating, running, and scaling programs, and/or leading organizations.
- Demonstrated experience as a fundraising professional with experience in corporate sponsorship, grant proposals, and donor relations.
- Demonstrated experience in impact measurement, with a metric-driven approach to growth
- Exceptional communication (Urdu and English), presentation, and analytical skills; both written and verbal. Ability to clearly articulate vision and inspire others.
- Strong relationship building, and networking skills, with ease at building networks in multiple channels.
- Interest — though not necessarily deep experience — in curating meaningful events and gatherings.
- Experience with coalition-building and/or volunteer-driven organizing.
- Experience in and familiarity with the non-profit sector.
The desirable candidate will also exhibit:
- Execution skills. Excellent problem solving, budgeting, strategic planning, and implementation skills.
- Leadership. Collaborative, inclusive, transparent, and can-do leadership style. Willingness to “make the road by walking.
- People management. An excellent people manager with a good balance of empathy, empowerment, and accountability; strong leadership, teamwork, and interpersonal skills.
- Mission focused. Strong desire and passion to make an impact in Pakistani society.
- Quality. Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Storytelling. Knack for storytelling and passionate engagement with the power of civic tech to make a difference.
- Action. An entrepreneurial startup kind of person who gets things done, consistently. Demonstrated self-management skills and resourcefulness.
- Solutions orientation. Solution-focused and medium-agnostic, willing to step outside core skill set or discipline to find the best solution to a challenge.
- Proactivity. Self-motivated and self-directed in setting targets and in following up with others to ensure their targets are met. While collaboration is key, we expect the candidate to be able to make decisions on their own and be goal-oriented in proactively driving programs.
- Design Thinking. Exposure to and understanding design thinking, innovation, lean product development, and creative cultures is a big plus.
- Organization. Solid on process and operations management and highly organized.
- Multi-tasking. Ability to handle multiple, concurrent, and high-priority projects.
- Responsiveness. Swift response and ability to overcome bottlenecks to ensure tasks are completed on time – without the need for follow-up reminders.
- Tech-savvy. Demonstrated interest in the application of technology for solving real-world problems.
- Positive. Ability to set the tone and dynamic for the team, and it should be one of a positive can-do attitude, and a lens of gratitude.
- Flexibility & adaptability. We are not a traditional organization, rather a passionate team of doers distributed among timezones across the world, which requires comfort with morning and night-time calls, as well as working remotely as needed.
- Values. Strong north star values of inclusion, openness, equity, non-partisanship, emotional intelligence, collaboration, integrity, helpfulness, generosity, learning, and growth mindset. The candidate is expected to share humble, ego-free, respectful camaraderie with all, centered around our mission to serve the public.
- Purpose. A belief that this is not a job, but a calling of purpose and mission. We like to think of ourselves as a tight-knit family.
- Excellent organizational leadership, managing staff, coaching and developing high-performance teams, setting and achieving strategic objectives, and managing a budget.
- Owning and executing on the vision and mission defined by the Executive Director and Board, defining the organizational strategy for achieving quarterly goals.
- Building organizational capacity, in collaboration with the Executive Director and Board, developing a long-term sustainability and fundraising plan, and initiating the execution of that plan by raising resources and support.
- Extending the reach of our current programs in collaboration with the core team, supporting and enhancing existing programming and strategy, and operating as a thought partner for emerging opportunities.
- Creating new, innovative, and measurable programs that seek to inspire participation in civic hacking and innovation in public services.
- Driving our brand, storytelling, and thought leadership to the next horizon, both nationally and internationally.
- Business development with government, private sector partners, and civil society partners.
- Building and maintaining relationships — engaging with key project partners and donors to ensure they are bought-in and contributing to the project.
- Representing the vision, strategy, and values of Code for Pakistan with stakeholders, government, private sector, non-profit, community leadership, and international donors, and making a good pitch.
- Boosting organizational capacity by analyzing and improving existing systems, workflows, and practices.
- Creating new ways to expand our volunteer base.
- Driving high-level tracking, evaluation, and proactive reporting of program impact, with all stakeholders proactively looped in and kept updated.
- Conducting regular project and program retrospectives in a spirit of continual learning and improvement, and reporting on the organization’s results to the Board.
- Recruiting, hiring, retaining, and developing top talent and outstanding team members who are engaged, high performing, happy, and doing their best work.
- Solving problems proactively to move things forward quickly, rolling up your sleeves to dive in whenever necessary, with positive cheer and supportiveness.
How to apply:
Think you’d be a great fit? Apply by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’d be a good fit, what excites you about working for Code for Pakistan, an example from the world of civic tech that you find inspiring, and a couple of specific program growth opportunities you see for the organization. Both the resume and cover letter must be submitted in one single PDF file before the deadline to be considered.
The deadline for applications is July 15, 2021.