TECH-NIH Fellowship Program
National Institute of Health (NIH) is a multi-disciplinary autonomous body set up to advance Pakistan’s public health-related activities like diagnostic services, research, and the production of various vaccines. NIH’s ultimate aim is to facilitate international and regional collaboration, seek technical assistance, and participate in global disease control more effectively.
Code for Pakistan (CfP) is a civic innovation non-profit made up of a passionate community of technologists and other talented professionals, driven by a strong belief in civic innovation and social impact that can move Pakistan forward in measurable and meaningful ways. Our vision is to have a government that meets people’s needs where they are, and we leverage the power of technology and people to bridge the gap between government and citizens. Code for Pakistan runs a Government Innovation Fellowship Program in Peshawar that has completed 6 annual cycles, Civic Innovation Labs in multiple cities across Pakistan, as well as projects with the federal and provincial governments.
Code for Pakistan and the National Institute of Health are collaborating to launch the TECH-NIH Fellowship Program, which brings together citizen technologists and the government to create digital innovation and enable the provision of improved healthcare across Pakistan. We are seeking to hire a passionate and experienced Program Manager to lead the TECH-NIH Fellowship Program
The TECH-NIH Fellowship Program is a 3-month program, where a team of talented researchers, designers, community organizers, and developers will collaborate to foster government innovation and improve service delivery. The Program Manager will jointly report to Code for Pakistan and the National Institute of Health.
With support from Code for Pakistan’s team, the Program Manager will be responsible for managing the team of Fellows, delivering the curriculum, providing oversight of the projects, ensuring high-quality deliverables and high-level program satisfaction from all parties, as well as liaison between CfP and TECH-NIH. This is a full-time, 3-month long, high-energy position based in Islamabad.
- Proficient in handling product development concepts, latest software tools and technologies, strong database concepts, and design thinking techniques.
- Understand different programming languages and have the ability to solve problems in coding, testing, and deployment.
- Proficient in using and integrating GitHub with product development.
- Possess good knowledge of different software systems, client/server architectures, and various compatibility requirements.
- Experienced in software development and testing processes, and have the ability to understand and implement govt requirements.
- A strong understanding of Lean Startup, Agile, and Scrum methodology to manage Fellowship projects, and to be able to teach these methodologies to the Fellows.
- Strong project management and time management skills.
- An ability to understand project requirements, coordinate with resources and direct the projects in the right direction in a timely manner.
- An ability to manage teams.
- An ability to communicate effectively with the Fellows and the government.
- An ability to delegate and allocate responsibilities efficiently to manage projects end to end.
- Effectively lead, inspire, and coach Fellows on civic innovation, the global civic technology movement, and how to achieve goals through innovation, quality, and excellence.
- Be able to deliver a solid curriculum and drive Fellows through the curriculum to deliver civic products.
- An ability to identify strengths and weaknesses of team members and suitably make changes if required.
- Resource management skills and an ability to handle complex/sensitive issues.
- Team building experience, including an ability to encourage team interaction, boost motivation, and appreciate team contribution.
- Able to gather and document initial set of requirements from host department(s) and communicate them to CfP and TECH-NIH’s management, as well as the Fellows.
- Must ensure teams follow the correct procedures, policies, and documentation requirements across project phases.
- Able to guide the team through agile development, testing, and implementation stages and review the completed work effectively.
- Provide direction and technical expertise in design, development, and systems integration.
- Must provide technical training to teams when required and serve as a technical mentor to team members.
- Must ensure all project code from the Fellowship is uploaded, maintained, and properly documented on GitHub.
- Supervise documentation of the projects to facilitate an easy transition to product owners.
- Identify and onboard trainers to conduct training sessions with TECH-NIH officials/external partners with the goal of building internal capacity through the 3-month cycle.
- Interview and evaluate candidates for the Fellowship Program with representatives from CfP and TECH-NIH.
- Work with CfP to bring mentors and guest speakers on board to share their expertise and guide the Fellows with their projects.
- Understand the MVP development process and make sure Fellows have their products be continuously used and tested by the end-users right from the outset, even prior to an MVP.
- Deliver the course curriculum, which includes the latest product development strategies, agile methodologies, design thinking, tech frameworks, etc.
- Carry out task allocation and performance evaluation of team members.
- Ensuring that the Fellows strictly follow the timeline and course content curated for the Fellowship.
- Ensuring that the projects/products/services in the Fellowship are delivered in a timely manner.
- Ensure standard operating procedures and project guidelines are in place.
- Conduct meetings to understand TECH-NIH’s requirements as well as to communicate the Fellows’ progress and needs to CfP and TECH-NIH’s management.
- Make presentations on project status, present weekly demos, report to CfP and TECH-NIH’s management and lead sprint retrospective meetings on a fortnightly basis.
- Work closely with CfP and TECH-NIH’s management, quickly resolve high level problems and ensure project timelines and deliverables are met.
- Work with CfP on blog posts about the Fellowship Program.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Sciences, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, or related field. Preferably with a Master’s Degree in Management.
- 5 years of Software Product Development experience with at least 2 years of that experience in Management.
- At least 2 years prior experience managing supervisees/developers/teams.
How to apply
Think you’d be a great fit? Apply by emailing on both the 02 ahead given email addresses simultaneously, firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’d be a good fit, and what excites you about leading the TECH-NIH Fellowship Program. Both the resume and cover letter must be submitted in one single PDF file before the deadline to be considered.
Deadline to Apply: 19th July 2021