|Job Title||Lead Software Engineer||Reports to||Director Technology|
|Type of Position||Full-time||Level/Grade||Mid-level/Senior|
About Code for Pakistan
Think about your last time stuck in traffic or getting your driving license renewed. Ever had to go to the police station? Visited a ghost government school? What about spending untold hours with no electricity thanks to load-shedding? Or reeling from the devastation caused by floods year after year?
But what if interacting with public services wasn’t so painful? What if every interaction was a positive, seamless experience?
Enter the world of civic tech. Code for Pakistan (CfP) is a civic innovation non-profit made up of a passionate full-time team and community of technologists and other talented professionals, driven by a strong belief in civic innovation and social impact that can move Pakistan forward in measurable and meaningful ways. Our vision is to have a government that meets people’s needs where they are, and we leverage the power of technology and people to bridge the gap between government and citizens.
We work on programs that are setting up Pakistan to be a civic innovation hub. Code for Pakistan runs a Government Innovation Fellowship Program that has completed 8 annual cycles, a Women’s Civic Digital Internship Program with 50 women interns all over KP, a Civic Academy that provides trainings to government staff to grow their skills and approach, volunteer community groups in multiple cities across Pakistan, as well as impactful digital solution projects with the federal and provincial governments. Our most recent annual Civic Hackathon had 1000+ applicants from 150 cities and towns. We also serve on the steering committee of the global Code for All network, which brings together 32 international civic tech organizations as partners. And we have fun while we do it all!
- Own the spec, design, and implementation of features in large-scale, highly dynamic machine learning web applications.
- Collaborate with other product team members to gather requirements, refine designs, tackle technical challenges, resolve issues, and launch features.
- Work across the stack to develop scalable, performant, well-tested solutions.
- Design, develop and execute software test plans.
- Identify, track and resolve software defects in moderately complex areas.
- Create documentation to assist customer with product installation, configuration and problem diagnosisParticipate in code reviews.
- Contribute to the ongoing development and operations of AI, and advanced analytics solutions that enable transformation experiences, predictive insights, and increased efficiency.
- Proactively research new technologies and trends that can enhance company’s offering and create new revenue opportunities.
- At least 5 years of experience in software development of which minimum 2 years in Lead Engineer or similar role
- Excellent coding skills – somebody who’s excited about beings hands on with code and trying technologies.
- Excellent understanding of architectural and software design patterns.
- Excellent understanding of modern web development technologies and practices.
- Good understanding of both relational and non-relational databases and best practices for modeling for these.
- Exposure to AI, machine learning, and data science.
- Experience with service oriented and/or microservice architectures.
- Experience with cloud environments such as AWS and container orchestration platforms such as Kubernetes.
- A flexible mindset, understanding that projects will fall on a spectrum between Waterfall and Agile, and familiarity with automated build and testing tools.
- Good communication skills and ability to speak both to technical and non-technical people.
- Ability to work in a matrix structure with various stakeholders.
- Ability to drive a project and work both independently and in a team.
- Smart, motivated, can do attitude, and seeks to make a difference.
How to Apply
Think you’d be a great fit? Apply by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’d be a good fit, what excites you about working for Code for Pakistan, and an example from the world of civic tech that you find inspiring. To be considered, both the resume and cover letter must be submitted in one single PDF file.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so the sooner you apply, the better!
The deadline for applications is 31st August, 2023, which may be shortened or extended as needed to find the right fit for the role.