Job Opening: Managing Director of Code for Pakistan
|Type of Position||Full-time||Travel Required||
Code for Pakistan is looking for an exceptional and organized DOER – a brilliant, fearless, multi-faceted and passionate leader who is uncompromising in the pursuit of creating an organization that positively impacts the lives of Pakistanis every day.
The role entails hands-on contribution as well as management, leadership, and oversight of our programs, operations, and growth. You will collaborate closely with and report directly to the Board, and be responsible for a young and upcoming organization as well as a potentially large volunteer base.
This is a full-time, permanent position based in Islamabad.
● Organizational leadership, staff management, coaching and developing high-performance teams, setting and achieving strategic objectives
● Financial planning, budgeting, and resource management
● Own and execute the vision and mission, define organizational strategy and work plans to achieve quarterly goals.
● Build organizational capacity, develop a long-term sustainability and fundraising plan, and execute that plan by raising resources and support.
● Extend the reach of our current programs, support and enhance existing programming and strategy, and operate as a thought partner for emerging opportunities.
● Create new, innovative and measurable programs that seek to inspire participation in civic innovation in public services.
● Drive our brand, storytelling, and thought leadership both nationally and internationally.
● Business development with government, private sector partners, and civil society partners.
● Build and maintain relationships, engage with key project partners and donors
● Represent the vision, strategy, and values of Code for Pakistan with stakeholders through a good pitch, and coach and prepare team members to do the same.
● Boost organizational capacity by analyzing and improving existing systems, workflows, and practices.
● Create a team culture of learning from global civic tech work.
● Create new ways to expand and engage our volunteer base.
● Drive high-level tracking, evaluation, and proactive reporting of program impact.
● Conduct regular project and program retrospectives for continual learning and improvement.
● Recruit, hire, retain, and develop top talent and outstanding team members who are engaged, high performing, happy, and doing their best work.
● Solve problems proactively to move things forward quickly.
● 12+ years of professional work & leadership experience in business development, technology/product development, international development, social enterprise, public sector, community engagement, or other fields related to civic tech.
● 7+ years of people management experience, including managers and volunteers.
● Experience in operational planning, development, and management.
● Experience working with large and high-level stakeholders.
● Organizational development experience — including growing and managing teams, managing budgets and financial administration, creating, running and scaling programs, and/or leading organizations.
● Experience in corporate sponsorship, grant proposals, and donor relations.
● Experience in impact measurement, with a metric-driven approach to growth.
● Exceptional communication (Urdu and English), presentation and analytical skills; both written and verbal. Ability to clearly articulate vision and inspire others.
● Strong relationship building, and networking skills, with an ease at building and leveraging networks via multiple channels.
● Interest — though not necessarily deep experience — in curating meaningful events and gatherings.
● Experience with coalition-building and driving movements.
● Experience in and/or familiarity with the non-profit sector.
● Highly professional work ethic.
● Ability to stay calm and work well under pressure and exhibit good judgment, and ideally, a sense of humor.
● Excellent problem-solving, budgeting, strategic planning, and implementation skills.
● Collaborative, inclusive, transparent, and can-do leadership style.
● Excellent people manager with a good balance of empathy, empowerment, and accountability; strong leadership, teamwork, and interpersonal skills.
● Strong desire and passion to make an impact in Pakistani society.
● Unwavering commitment to quality of programs and projects and data-driven evaluation.
● Knack for storytelling and passionate engagement with the power of civic tech to make a difference.
● An entrepreneurial startup kind of person who gets things done, consistently.
● Demonstrated self-management skills and resourcefulness.
● Solution-focused and medium-agnostic, willing to step outside core skill set or discipline to find the best solution to a challenge.
● Self-motivated and self-directed in setting targets and in following up with others to ensure their targets are met.
● Exposure to and understanding of design thinking, innovation, lean product development, creative cultures, and workshop facilitation.
● Solid in process and operations management and highly organized.
● Ability to handle multiple, concurrent, high-priority projects.
● Swift response and ability to overcome bottlenecks to ensure tasks are completed on time - without the need for follow-up reminders.
● Demonstrated interest in the application of technology for solving real-world problems.
● Natural proactivity in building and leveraging relationships.
● Ability to set the tone and dynamic for the team — one of a positive can-do attitude and a lens of gratitude.
● Comfort with morning, night-time, and weekend calls, as well as working remotely as and when needed.
● Strong north star values of inclusion, openness, equity, non-partisanship, emotional intelligence, collaboration, integrity, helpfulness, accountability, generosity, learning, and growth mindset.
● Desire to truly seek feedback for guidance and improvement.
● A calling of purpose, centered around our mission to serve the public and create real impact for others.
How to apply:
Think you’d be a great fit? Apply by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’d be a good fit, what excites you about working for Code for Pakistan, and an example from the world of civic tech that you find inspiring. To be considered, both the resume and cover letter must be submitted in one single PDF file. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The deadline for applications is June 15, 2023, which may be shortened or extended as needed to find the right fit for the role.